AMERICAN LEGION BASEBALL
2019 19U STATE TOURNAMENT
Dates July 18 - 21
Site: Rickwood Field and Pelham HS. A Patriotic Program and dinner will be held at Rickwood Field on Thursday evening for all players, coaches and their families beginning at 6:30pm.
The American Legion National Rule Book are the basis for all rules for this tournament. Some rules are emphasized, and others are adapted for this tournament.
1. All coaches will bring team registration documents to the tournament; rosters, and proof of age (such as driver’s license, government issued ID, or original certified copy of birth certificate), national Form #2. The documents must be readily available for a tournament official to inspect and review. Each player must be prepared to present proof of identity to tournament officials
2. DH – If a designated hitter is used then it is used for only the pitcher.
3. Courtesy runner – No courtesy runners are used in the tournament.
4. The tournament is planned to be pool play games for seeding into a single elimination tournament. The top two teams in each pool teams will be slotted into single elimination bracket. Pool play games will determine home team by a pre-game coin flip. The higher seeded team will be the home team during single elimination play. The championship game if the #1 seeds from both brackets are participating then a coin flip will be used to determine home team.
A. All games will be 7 innings unless shortened due to run rule.
B. Run rule is a 10 run mercy rule after five innings of play or 4 ½ innings if the home team has the last at-bat.
C. Seeding determination will use these criteria: 1) Winning percentage, 2) Head to Head results in the tournament, 3) Runs allowed and 4) a coin flip.
5. Everyone in the dugout must be in appropriate uniform. See national rule book for proper uniform. Players and coaches will wear uniforms in an appropriate manner at all times,( i.e., shirt tails in at all times, and hats worn properly). Only the players legally rostered for that team will be in the dugout. Scorekeepers, and medical staff do not have to wear uniforms and they may sit in the dugout, however they need to stay in the dugout.
6. All base coaches will wear protective headgear, such as batting helmets or catcher’s skull caps per National rules.
7. All participants will have the official American Legion Baseball shoulder patch on their left sleeve or left chest of the jersey. Participants who do not have a patch will be removed from the game until this is corrected, then they may re-enter the game.
8. Player Re-entry rules are not allowed. Once a player is removed from the game then the player is no longer eligible to participate in the game.
9. The American Legion pitching rules are in effect. Pitch counts will be updated after each half inning and confirmed with the umpires.
10. Ejections. Any player or coach ejected from a game for any reason will sit out the remainder of that game, and the next game his team is scheduled to play. The player or coach may ask the commissioner on site to be reinstated in the tournament. Reinstatement will be considered by the commissioners based on the severity of the infraction.
11. Lineup Cards. Teams will provide their own lineup cards. Cards will be completed in at least 3 copies, with first name, last name, position, and jersey number for all players, including subs. One copy to umpire, press box, and opposing team. Home and visiting team will be determined by a coin toss during pool play. Coaches should accomplish this prior to turning in their lineup cards.
12. Four Game balls are provided by the Department for each game if additional baseballs are needed then each team will provide the additional baseballs. Each team is required to assist in the return of foul baseballs to the umpires.
13. Admission. A day pass is $10. Children 10 and under are free. Players and coaches have free entrance while in uniform. American Legion members, active and reserve military members and retired military personnel get in free with valid ID card.
14. Concessions: Provided at each location. NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINKS ARE ALLOWED IN THE BASEBALL FACILITIES. NO COOLERS ALLOWED, EXCEPT TEAM COOLERS.
15. Dugouts. Teams WILL clean up their dugout after each game.
16. Protests. The only protests allowed are protests based on rules interpretation, and player eligibility/fraud. Protests may be submitted, in writing, to the commissioner on site prior to the end of the game in question for fraud. Decisions of the commissioners are final. Protests of the Official rules of baseball during actual game conditions must be filed with the umpire before the next legal pitch.
17. Good sportsmanship is expected in all games. Each team will play the games that are scheduled. If a team withdraws then a $150 penalty will be assessed to the Post. A team manager will be suspended for poor sportsmanship.
Additional penalties can be levied against a team, player or coach at the discretion of the Legion Board of Directors or the Director of Alabama American Legion baseball for poor sportsmanship.
18. Player eligibility protests must be filed with the respective Legion commissioner for the protesting team prior to 8am on July 18, 2019. The protest must be specific with written proof of ineligibility claim. All protests must indicate the specific rule that is alleged to have been violated. This protest must be provided to the commissioner in writing.
19. In games at Pelham High School that Post 555 is playing, Post 555 will occupy the first base dugout.
American Legion Baseball
CODE OF SPORTSMANSHIP
Keep the rules
Keep faith with my teammates
Keep my temper
Keep myself fit
Keep a stout heart in defeat
Keep my pride under in victory
Keep a sound soul, a clean mind, and a healthy body.